A two-day workshop for yoga teachers, caregivers, or those who simply want to help a loved one connect – or reconnect – with their bodies on a deeper level.
The principles of yoga do not discriminate and its benefits are available to everyone regardless of ability or disability. This 2-day workshop will give you practical knowledge and experience in adapting yoga for individuals living with mobility disabilities, such as partial or total paralysis, amputation, spinal cord injury, arthritis, cerebral palsy, advanced multiple sclerosis, etc. Learning outcomes include:
– creating a safe and supportive environment in which to practice
– teaching the experience of a pose, rather than just its physical manifestation
– creating references of containment, boundary, alignment and grounding
– shoulder considerations for wheelchair users
– assisted stretching techniques from yoga massage
– working with balance, rhythm, and expansion
– ensuring the safety of your own body while assisting others
– being comfortable in the presence of suffering, without trying to fix it
The workshop will include a practical, where a group of students with a variety of disabilities will be invited to attend a yoga practice, and where you will have a hands-on opportunity to assist and apply the principles learned.
You register for the workshop by filling out the form at the bottom of the page.
Price: SEK 2500 (includes course material and two vegetarian lunches)
For more information about the workshop:
+46 (0) 733 707 769
About the teacher:
Wendy Sandsjö has been practicing yoga for 46 years, teaching for 15 years, is a member of the International Association of Yoga Therapists and a certified yoga massage therapist. She has also studied Adaptive Yoga in Minnesota with Iyengar yoga teacher Matthew Sanford, himself paralyzed from the chest down since childhood.
She is the founder of Adaptive Yoga Scandinavia, where her vision is to open yoga for segments of the population who have traditionally been excluded from the yoga world because of disability. Wendy comes from Canada originally.
This workshop is a collaboration between Raja Yoga in Lund and Adaptive Yoga Scandinavia.