A 2-day workshop for yoga teachers, caregivers, physio-therapists, or those who simply want to help a loved one connect – or reconnect – with their bodies on a deeper level, regardless of ability of disability.
The principles of yoga do not discriminate and its benefits are available to everyone regardless of ability or disability. In this 2-day workshop, you will gain practical knowledge and experience in adapting yoga for individuals living with partial or total paralysis, amputation, spinal cord injury, arthritis, cerebral palsy, advanced multiple sclerosis, etc. Learning outcomes include:
- creating a safe and supportive environment in which to practice
- teaching the experience of a pose, rather than just its physical form
- creating references of containment, boundary, alignment and grounding
- shoulder considerations for wheelchair users
- assisted stretching techniques from yoga massage
- working with balance, rhythm, and expansion
- ensuring the safety of your own body while assisting others
- being comfortable in the presence of suffering, without trying to fix it
Adaptive yoga students with a variety of disabilities will be dropping into the workshop as guests throughout the weekend to provide plenty of hands-on opportunities to apply the techniques as you assist them in their yoga practice. Together, we’ll explore how yoga asana moves through their bodies.
Date: 21– 22 January, 2017
Time: 9:00 − 12:00 (Lunch 12:00 – 13:00) 13:00 – 16:00
Price: SEK 2500 (includes course material and two vegetarian lunches)
For more information: Email: email@example.com or phone +46 733 707 769
To register: Fill out the form below to sign up for the workshop. (Last registration date is 16th of January.)
About the teacher:
Wendy Sandsjö has been practicing yoga for 46 years and teaching for 15, is a member of the International Association of Yoga Therapists and a certified yoga massage therapist. She has also studied Adaptive Yoga in Minnesota with internationally-renowned Iyengar yoga teacher Matthew Sanford, himself paralyzed from the chest down since childhood. She is the founder of Adaptive Yoga Scandinavia, where her vision is to open yoga for segments of the population who have traditionally been excluded from the yoga world because of disability. Wendy comes from Canada originally.
This workshop is a collaboration between Raja Yoga Lund and Adaptive Yoga Scandinavia.